Hampden Congregational Church, United Church of Christ (HCC), has remained a comforting constant in our community for 200 years. Members and friends of HCC have stood by our modest church and witnessed the ebb and flow of the communities we serve, during periods of expansive ministry and contracting discernment. Our house of worship is, indeed, a true reflection of our faith community and the endurance of God’s work through Jesus Christ among its worshipers.
HCC is an “open door church” meaning an invitation is extended to everyone to enter into our church because we believe that Jesus never turned anyone away, so neither do we.
Current Board of Overseers Ministry (BOOM) officers:
Suze Howe, Treasurer (Accounts Payable)
Diane Bergey, Asst. Treasurer (Accounts Receivable)
Sara Henry, Clerk
Sandy Gemmel & Diana Richardson, Members At Large
Rev. Bill Walsh
The Hampden Food Cupboard, our local food pantry, is located in the lower level of the church. It is open once a week and staffed by a small group of very dedicated volunteers from area churches. The annual “Scouting for Food” drive in November is the largest source of food items each year. HCC also hosts the Help for Hampden Fund which provides cash assistance to families in need, as well as collecting a variety of necessities for the Bangor Area Homeless Shelter as part of our annual Christmas traditions.
Recurring fundraisers include our famous Chicken Pie Suppers, rummage and holiday sales, as well as benefit concerts and shows by our extremely talented congregation.
Hampden Congregational Church was formed in 1817 as an outgrowth of Bangor Theological Seminary, which was housed in Hampden at that time. The seminary moved to Bangor two years after the congregation was formed and the tiny congregation struggled without a church building and a pastor for a decade. In 1826 Stephen A. Loper became the church’s first minister, but HCC continued to struggle and Loper left the church two years later. Then in 1834, there was religious revival and 40 people joined the church – 30 of them in one day! Deacon John Crosby donated land and the church building at 101 Main Road North was constructed in 1835. The original church building exhibits a high-quality blend of Federal, Greek Revival, and Italianate architecture and was listed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1987.